From February...Come what in May....The Cronicle: The Kinabalu Climb

It has been ultimately crazy for the past few months; starting in the month of February until now...May! I have been keeping myself busy with a lot of activities and did something so terrible...(I'll reveal it soon) Things that I could have never thought I would do...but I did!



The View to Die for

The Kinabalu Climb (23-24 February 2014)
I booked for this adventure alone initially but at the very last minute I asked Melisa to join me as I think it wouldn't be fun if I had it all to myself.hehe...So we both booked through an agent (Quester Wong of Borneo Adventure Tours) and paid about RM960 fot the whole package (hotel transfer to the park, a guide, accommodation,food,park's permit & whole lots of fun!


I somehow thought that it is OK to hide this trip from my mom and Mel and I told her like about 2 hours before my flight to Kota Kinabalu. Well, it was not a big surprise that she was taken aback by my action.First; for not telling her earlier about my flight to KK and Secondly for not telling her that I am about to climb the tallest mountain in South East Asia.

Mel and I

We were joined by a lovely couple from England and a nice gentleman from Canada. We all clicked well and had so much fun doing the climb as a group. It took us about 5-6 hours to climb up to the night stop (Laban Lata). We started climbing at 10.30am and reached the station about 3pm -ish...The journey to the top was awesome. I am grateful that all my efforts working out in the gym did help me to endure the pain hiking all the way to the top! The whole journey was wonderful and I got to meet a whole load of people from all over the world. I met some Indonesians, Filipinos, Korean and I am proud to say that there are a huge crowd of Malaysians too!Everyone was excited and it seems that everyone has the same goal.To conquer the Mountain.

Noi and I

Once we reached to the night stop, we had our dinner at 4pm-5pm and immediately go to sleep. I tried to take shower but it was freezing cold! I tried, and I really think that I caught with pneumonia! tsk tsk. I tried to sleep but I was so excited. Mel forgot to bring extra pairs of pants for the climb so I lend her my extra pants.Haha!...I woke up at 9pm with a very awful headache. I swallowed 2 panadol pills and chatted with Mel and a Chinese guy at the cafe until a staff came over and warned us not to make any noise as there are people who are trying to sleep.Well, I doubt it as I could hear footsteps all over the wooden floor building.haha..
I guess this was the Dr Jekyll moment

So, the next morning; we woke up at 1am and had a quick breakfast and then we all get ready to climb. It was dark and freezing!I was so excited because every time I speak; I could see hot air formed around me.haha!how silly! The climb was quite a challenge because I had to deal with wet rope and cold rocks as I pulled myself up the cliff. It was pretty scary because everyone was walking in the dark, at the side of the mountain and the only thing to guide you is the tiny headlights from other climbers in front of you. I was cursing all the way because my fingers were all numbed and I was only wearing the gym gloves which is not really waterproof. Smart ass huh?...not a smart move...

We made a great team!! (from left: Noi, Melisa & Damien)

I can dooooo itttt....

It was a pure Dr. Jekyll and Hyde for me as I began to doubt myself; just why on earth I want to climb this mountain and just where did I get the idea that I'm all "hey Mr.Adventure and out-going"....It was..it was...I felt as though I should have listen to my mom as she said this: why on earth would you want to climb that mountain when you know you're never into nature!haha...maybe true....But....the moment reveal its own glory when I was on the top of the mountain. I reached the peak at 6.am-ish and the moment I saw the sunrise.I said to myself.Well done Damien!!!!You have made it.It is worth the fuss....Low's Peak is now under my belt...strike one for my bucket lists...hehe

YEAY!!!

I just smiled and felt proud of myself.Took lots of pictures and I vowed that I would go for more adventures.which I did of course.But that would be another story to share....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Graduation

Stiff Neck and Pillow

Why I deactivated my FB