The Chronicle : Borneo International Marathon

Though I am still tired after the white water rafting the day before, I woke up at 5 a.m. (again!) and got myself ready for the Borneo International Marathon. Melisa registered our participation in this run months ago and she is the one who coordinated the whole marathon trip. We stayed at a cheap hotel at Kampung Air; right in the middle of Kota Kinabalu downtown. It is our second time stay in this area, the first was when we came earlier in February for the Mount Kinabalu climb.


The Run (4th May 2014)
So we took a taxi, it is easy because there is a taxi stand right next to the place we stayed. We paid the taxi driver RM20.00 (I know it sounds expensive..but there is a lesson to be learnt here..). The taxi driver drove us to the Likas Stadium as it is where the Marathon started.

There were so many people when we reached there. It was a very exciting atmosphere as you can see not only the locals but tourists alike. There are groups of family, school kids, die-hard/hardcore marathon-ish looking people with full marathon regalia and what not.haha...

The event started as early as 2 a.m. - 3 a.m.-ish for the full 42KM runners. As I was taking the 10KM (it's the shortest distance in the groups of Marathon that day), our run begins at 6 a.m. I started slow and jogging and brisk walking in between...for the first 5KM.As I reached the 5KM mark, I picked up the pace and started running and left Melisa behind.

It was an awesome run as I think when you run in a new place, town or anywhere unfamiliar; you tend to focus more on the scenery and view and the people rather than thinking about when to hit the finishing line. Now I realised that; of why I felt tired running in Kuching; because I can predict just how far is left for me to run and I am not really amused with my environment as it is too common for me. I guess it is a simple tip of why whenever you decide to join a marathon, you ought to try to run in a new strange place.

And guess what..I made it!!!

It was indeed something to be proud of...two years ago, I would have never thought that I would run in a 10KM Marathon and made it without having to pump my lungs with a tank of oxygen. :P Though it was my first time completed the 10KM (I ran in a 5KM and 7KM a week before Borneo International Marathon); I could say that I am quite a good runner.

Next run....I'll go back to my old self I guess?Running for fun...Maybe another Monster Dash this coming October.A simple 5KM Fun run...

We got medal for the run and I managed to clock-in an hour and ten minutes for my 10KM run...

Oh the Joy!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Graduation

Stiff Neck and Pillow

Why I deactivated my FB